My birthday falls exactly 12 days before Christmas. Yes, there’s a song; no, nobody sings it. Although there are certainly worse calender dates (like February 29th, or Christmas itself), the placement has always been problematic. But I made a discovery the birthday before I went to college: the present season goes better if I have a theme.
Two years after that I was going to Australia. Excellent year as far as “stuff I’m definitely gonna use,” and made me happy. I think a theme is called for this year. Considering my current state of unemployment, and the protracted lack of funds which that implies, this year I want:
to maintain my quality of life!
Yes, that’s right. Sometimes it’s just nice not to have to sacrifice the enjoyable things. Things like:
- another year of Flickr ($25, going on four years)
- web-hosting, which my host currently has an excellent deal on: $4.95/month with unlimited storage and bandwidth… if you purchase it for two years ($118.80)
- an Model M keyboard like these, preferably pre-1996—yes, the old one somehow, uh, broke ($15-40)
- given the circumstances, and theme, an iPhone is probably a bad idea ($1,879)
- love is an excellent idea! ($0)