Well, hm. This is sort of embarrassing. Did any of you read that post I made back in November, about my upcoming website redesign? I was so excited. So eager. So naïve.
So… it’s been awhile since then. Most elements of my design were actually implemented; others were forgotten as life went on (as it tends to). So I’ve decided that good enough is good enough — as usual. I seem to be growing more practical and less apologetic in my old age. At least as far as apologizing for personal web designs done in my free time as a hobby, skill-building exercise, and meditation on imperfectness.
Anyways. This is the New Stuff:
- GLOT letters at the top are dynamic div areas (pure pixels!), style-able with CSS
- author portrait with color-changing vertical stripes behind it
- post titles used the 04_19 font; now they use Grixel Extended
- tags attached to a post now have the same color and have a mini-tag next to them on hover
- “about me” spiel is revealed on portrait hover
- recent comments appear in the sidebar (in pixelated form)
- Tumblr quotes, delicious links, Last.fm songs in the sidebar
- my WeHeartIt images used as filler in the sidebar
- number of comments shown in a comment bubble
- posts outside of the default category (Wordglot) are now specially featured on the front page
- Flickr photos show up below the main column on the front page
- ditto for Twitter tweets, too
- Creative Commons license and contact link shown prominently in the footer
- post pages now have a more interesting mono-color scheme
- possibility to set a featured image as background for a post
- the “not found” page is really cool — try it!
And this is the Broken Stuff:
- spacing is off in lots of places
- colors can combine in near-unreadable contrast
- the tags page… is bad
- vigorous testing was not vigorous
- I haven’t even checked it in Internet Explorer. Really. That’s how much fuck IE.
- comments have no pictures and are a gray box
- no, seriously — there’s not even a place to comment at all yet
Comment below and let me know what you think!