On July 8, 2012, Chicken and I were returning to Lodoga to retrieve his RV, the Hotel Miami, left there after Camp Tipsy. We saw some strange clouds on the horizon. After briefly speculating on whether they could maybe (possibly) be smoke, we came across an honest-to-goodness wildfire (about 10 feet across) burning on this very hillside.
The Sites Complex fire of 2012 involved 88 fire engines, 24 bulldozers, 6 helicopters, and 1339 personnel. It burned 4185 acres. It’s the only good reason I’ve ever driven the perilous Leesville Road.
I was pretty amazed to locate the exact hillside this year. A lot has changed. But when I compare the original Instagram from that day, I’m sure. The geo-location is as precise as possible.
We fought it with a squeegee and my front door mat. Chicken got smoke inhalation. We did a bad job stopping it, but the California Fire Marshalls who later visited me to investigate told me that — of course — we really couldn’t have. When it comes to wildfires, 10 feet is already too big. No heroes came back that day. Just pictures.
A little like this blog. Well-loved but mostly forgotten.
Well, hm. This is sort of embarrassing. Did any of you read that post I made back in November, about my upcoming website redesign? I was so excited. So eager. So naïve.
So… if you hadn’t noticed by now, it’s been awhile since then. Most elements of my design were actually implemented; others were forgotten as life went on (as it tends to). So I’ve decided that good enough is good enough — as usual. I seem to be growing more practical and less apologetic in my old age. At least as far as apologizing for personal web designs done in my free time as a hobby, skill-building exercise, and meditation on imperfectness.
Anyways. This is the New Stuff:
- GLOT letters at the top are dynamic div areas (pure pixels!), style-able with CSS
- author portrait with color-changing vertical stripes behind it
- post titles used the 04_19 font; now they use Grixel Extended
- tags attached to a post now have the same color and have a mini-tag next to them on hover
- “about me” spiel is revealed on portrait hover
- recent comments appear in the sidebar (in pixelated form)
- Tumblr quotes, delicious links, Last.fm songs in the sidebar
- my WeHeartIt images used as filler in the sidebar
- number of comments shown in a comment bubble
- posts outside of the default category (Wordglot) are now specially featured on the front page
- Flickr photos show up below the main column on the front page
- ditto for Twitter tweets, too
- Creative Commons license and contact link shown prominently in the footer
- post pages now have a more interesting mono-color scheme
- possibility to set a featured image as background for a post
- the “not found” page is really cool — try it!
And this is the Broken Stuff:
- spacing is off in lots of places
- colors can combine in near-unreadable contrast
- the tags page… is bad
- vigorous testing was not vigorous
- I haven’t even checked it in Internet Explorer. Really. That’s how much fuck IE.
- comments have no pictures and are a gray box
- no, seriously — there’s not even a place to comment at all yet
Comment below and let me know what you think!